Sunday, January 4, 2009

What is "Life On A Page" about?

Life On A Page is about scrapbooking the stories of our lives. I have initiated a project to empower individuals receiving human service supports to tell their own stories through scrapbooking. I have organized a group of volunteers to assist with the project.

Recently, I was inspired by David Pitonyak, http://www.dimagine.com/, when he spoke to the employees of Keystone Human Services. One of the things that David talked about was that individuals with disabilities lose their stories. Individuals can be isolated from their families and lose long term, unpaid relationships. There is no one to "hold their stories". Many individuals have spent long, damaging years in institutional settings, with little community contact. Relationships can become centered around an individual's diagnosis, rather than the fabric of their life.

As I look at my life, I have close family and friends who “hold my stories”. At gatherings, we share our histories, triumphs, mistakes, the silly, giggling moments, the laughter and the tears. We laugh, and we cry, and we live, and the stories become part of our shared history. I know that I am important in the lives of the people who are important to me, because of those precious stories that are told and retold.

It's my turn to help someone else tell their own precious story. I hope you will follow along.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and saddening at the same time. It seems like such an overwhelming situation, and I am impressed by your willingness to jump in and make a different where you can.

    I predict this will grow into something beyond what you can even imagine at this point in time and affect many people for the better.

    Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so true. i often wonder how my nonverbal son will do after his father and i are no longer around. he has no siblings. this is so wonderful what you are doing for these people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment. It is an extremely rewarding project, and I am very proud of the small impact we are having already.
    I know your fear for your son is a common one. I hope you that you are able to find solutions that give you peace.

    ReplyDelete