Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Joy!

Last Wednesday, my small group of volunteers and I spent two hours scrapbooking with four individuals receiving human service supports. It was an incredible experience to watch apprehension turn to smiles of joy, in both the individuals and the volunteers.

I cannot begin to explain the happiness I felt at the end of the evening. I’m a wife, mother, friend, employee and a myriad of other roles. Now, I’m a volunteer.

I gave two hours of my time. I smiled, and treated people with what I consider normal human kindness. Seems like a simple thing, but I helped four individuals, that I have never met before, to have fun. I watched their faces light up over the opportunity for a new experience. I witnessed joy.

I can’t wait to go tomorrow night!

1 comment:

  1. You have become an example of the very principles you started out to share with others; how neat to feel from the inside what it is to gain a new valued role in society for yourself!

    I'm looking forward to seeing the completed scrapbook the individual I was helping made - although she really did most of it on her own, which was pretty impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete