Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eye Opening

Scrapbooking last week was very enlightening, and not in a happy way. One of our volunteers had a scheduling conflict and was unable to join us. A gentleman that the absent volunteer has been helping was disappointed that "his" volunteer wasn't there. I told him that I would be happy to help him, I would just split my time. No big deal for me, but a very big deal for this man who was looking forward to the social aspect of scrapbooking.

One of the pages that we try to do in every scrapbook is a favorites page. We punch out some kind of shape and write favorite things on each shape ... favorite food, favorite color, favorite vacation, ....

While talking, I asked the gentleman to tell me one thing that he would like to do, that he has never done. I was amazed at the answer he gave me. It was a simple thing that he had obviously put a lot of thought into preparing to do. There is an obstacle in his plan, that he doesn't know how to overcome. Part of his plan would require him to attend a weekly event. Seemed like such a minor thing in this detailed plan ... OH ... reality. He doesn't have a car, or friends with a car, or public transit, or a staff person available at the time of the weekly event.

I was very disheartened. I wanted to jump in and do something, offer to drive, offer to do this or that or something else. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week. Where do I fit and how much can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment